Thursday, June 28, 2012

GUNS

When I hear that phrase "guns don't kill people, people do" I just have to scratch my head. The first ten minutes or so of our local news is usually about some young person, usually male, and usually dark skinned who has been shot. This has become so common and familiar lately that I'm more and more inclined to watch Jon Stewart at eleven instead. Seeing the parents and friends of these young kids and their neighbors and friends sobbing and asking "why?" is heartbreaking. While the African American community is certainly over represented in these senseless killings, those of us with lighter skin are also frequently gunned down all over the country every day.
I know the NRA is a powerful force in this country...and that they are very much against almost all gun control legislation. That makes me sick. I wonder how many parents who are burying their kids agree with them. I wonder how fond the parents in Columbine or in Chardon Ohio are of lax gun control laws.

Every night the emergency room doors open as another young victim is rolled in on a stretcher...and many come back out headed for a funeral home.

Trevon Martin would be enjoying the summer if the wanna be cop in Florida hadn't had a gun in his belt. Somehow our "right to bear arms" never seemed to envision the current madness that destroys a couple of lives every night in every major city in the world. I wonder how many mothers who cry their eyes out as they bury their children will ever have an NRA sticker on their cars?

No comments:

Post a Comment