Wednesday, June 20, 2012

WHERE HAVE ALL THE CATHOLICS GONE ?

I had an interesting discussion the other night with a good family man whose family no longer goes to church. They were always involved with the local Catholic church...he was president of council, and instrumental in creating a children's choir, organizing the fish fry, and even getting the church painted after a successful fund drive. His wife was a Eucharistic minister, festival worker, part time landscaper, and faithful herder of the kids to Mass on Sunday mornings. He was telling me how bit by bit they lost all interest in the parish. It seems that the decree from the bishop that mandated a state police background check for him and for his wife was insulting to both of them. While they understood the logic of this in light of the child molestation that was clouding the entire Catholic church, they resented being investigated while the group of people who had actually perpetrated and covered up the crimes were not. The kids weren't being preyed upon by the cafeteria ladies, or the  Eucharistic ministers.
I go to church if and when I can find a building that doesn't look like a space ship or a moose hall, where the music isn't all Kum by yah sounding, and the priest actually has something to say. This ain't easy to find these days. I've left church in a bad mood too many times...insulted, bored, or with a headache. While I'll never leave the church, I really wonder why so many many many good people will say the same thing...." Well, yes, I was raised Catholic..but..."

No comments:

Post a Comment