Tuesday, July 17, 2012

MANY A TRUTH IS SUNG IN JEST

My high school class reunion is coming up in October....class of 1962. Jeeze.

My friend Ray and I are on the planning committee and a surprisingly high number of our former classmates are sending in their deposits. The list of deceased members of the class is sobering as well...those were also the Vietnam years...with the war just beginning to crank up. My handsome locker mate died early on over in that miserable conflict.

Our team leader in the planning group sent out questionnaires last week for some basic info from all of the class members, and I completed mine last night.

I was impressed that he'd handled the marriage question by asking for our "spouse/partner"s name. I wondered if he had spent some time pondering the wording on that...or if he had assumed that I was obviously not married, or gay, or that his wife had suggested the choice. Since South Catholic was an all boys school, I would have expected a "wife's name" kinda thing.

Funny that it took me a little while to type in my answer. There is this internal homophobia that doesn't go away...maybe it never does. Once I typed in my partner's name, I breathed a sigh of relief and then came out like a rocket when I answered the next question " Can you share a few thoughts about your high school days." .....to which I responded.

" LITTLE DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT WHEN I CONVINCED OUR SENIOR CLASS TO DRESS IN DRAG AND SING " THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A GUY " THAT YOU'D ALL ACTUALLY BE THE CATALYST FOR ME TO COME SPRINGING OUT OF THE CLOSET A FEW YEARS LATER...THANK GOD I GOT OUT OF GYM CLASS."

So when people think that eventually being able to say  " I'm Gay" is the final moment of hesitation and the grand finale to accepting and embracing who they really are..they just might still have a little surprise or two coming...fifty years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment