Friday, July 27, 2012

THE MUSIC MAKERS

I ventured out into the storm last night and headed to Carnegie for Stage 62's production of SWEENEY TODD. Parking is a challenge there and I grabbed my umbrella for a five block walk to the theater...just as I began to open it the lightning and thunder made me rethink my evening...and I walked in the rain. The auditorium was filling up as I arrived, and I sat back for what turned out to be a great evening of musical theater. I have several friends who were involved in the show, directing, conducting the surprisingly large orchestra, playing an instrument or in the cast. The show got great reviews and I understand why. I was amazed at the acting and vocal talent...as good as I've seen anywhere. A heck of a lot of bang for twelve bucks.

Since I had a real aching to "get off the farm" last night, I soaked in a lot more than the desperately needed rain. Three of the guys I knew who were involved with the show have also sung or continue to sing with  our men's choir. All three also teach music, direct the marching band or choral groups. The director is a multi talented young guy who makes the high school plays and players really come to life. Music is a big part of their lives.

I've sung with church choirs since I was ten years old...with my "group voice", and played the organ ( a great imposter ) for years since the eighth grade. The only acting I ever did was when  I had to lip-sink a Louis Prima routine...even though I didn't even know who he was as I danced around to " I've grown accustomed to her face", or when I was hauled off in a van from my all boys high school to a girls reform school to be in a one act play.

I'm in awe of the people who surround themselves with music...from a concert pianist to my beloved nephew who can dance and sing his way into your heart, to the people who teach little kids to sing, to the people who spend long hours on hot days rehearsing and rehearsing. I hope they know that wanna-be's like me truly appreciate the beauty and talent that they create...out of thin air. To all of you...your audience is deeply grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment