Monday, July 16, 2012

underpants

There is something that always strikes me funny about underpants. I guess it's partly because most adults prefer to say underwear, and that's generally how I refer to my uncool Jockeys. Yesterday's paper had almost a whole page in the editorial section written by a post graduate college student and her underpants. The gist of the piece was that she'd left the Mormon church and in spite of her family's disappointment, she has stopped wearing her special Mormon underpants.
I learned that the Mormons called their underpants "garments" and that they consist of a white kinda tee shirt, and longish fruit of the loom pants. Part of the reason for these garments is that it keeps their outfits "modest". Part of the picture is also the "sacredness" of the garments...unlike my family where my brother and I were always warned to have clean underpants at all times because we might be injured somewhere and taken to a hospital where we'd be exposed to the world in our underpants, and my mother could end up embarrased.

Now I know all religions have some kinda quirky ideas...like us Catholics who have St Christopher medals in our cars even though they tossed him off the official saint log a long time ago, or those godly Baptists who picket fallen soldiers funerals, but having my underpants considered sacred seems really unusual. Woof and I were talking about it in bed last night...like how Mrs Romney was able to sort the laundry with all those men in the family who wore exactly the same underpants...maybe by size at least until the boys were all teenagers.

The woman who wrote the article left the Mormon church for an undisclosed reason...but it definitely wasn't about her underpants...she made that clear. When I see Mitt Romney now I hardly listen to what he has to say...I spend more time wondering if he's hot with those jeans on with his special underpants. My partner and I went to a wonderful concert at Chatauqua a while ago when the Tabernacle choir sang...and they were magnificent. While I only thought of them with the Battle Hymn of the Republic, they actually did great old show tunes and a wide range of perfectly blended music. I talked with a few of the handsome young tenors afterwards and told them that they were so good that I'd decided to vote for Romney. One of the singers whispered to me "stick with Obama". I don't know...sacred underpants just might be that one issue that I'll end up running with in the Fall. I hope these thoughts don't offend any Mormons...I also learned that they have a thing called " blood atonement"...or execution. Maybe I should hit the delete key.

No comments:

Post a Comment