Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A BAT OUT OF HELL

The ghost of Aunt Rene came to me in my sleep last night..to remind me that she also had another "sound" that she used to communicate. It went something like "ahh tee"....if she said it softly it was a term of endearment..like "oh, what a nice little kitten", but if she sorta screeched it out...like a big loud  "AHH TEE !!!!" it meant something like "get the hell out of the way". I was also reminded of the fact that Aunt Rene drove...a big old Plymouth I think...and a ride with her was memorable. She would put the dog up on the back of the front seat, dressed to the nine's with her big pink hat, and while the car was in neutral she'd press her foot down on the gas..hard. She'd grip the wheel and suddenly push the "D" button. The car would go roaring out of the carport, the dog would fly into the back seat, and Aunt Rene would screech a big "AHHTEE" as she rolled over the hibiscus bushes in the front yard. Now Aunt Rene was of the mind set that all of the neighbors were always delighted to see her. She'd wave out the window and smile and squawk at anyone who happened to be in sight. A few would of course yell good morning, or wave, but most of them just looked puzzled...or frightened, as she wove through the neighborhood. Sometimes my partner reminds me of her,,,waving to all the neighbors, especially when we're at the cottage. "Hey!...HELLO !..."there's so and so"...HOW ARE YOU?" Guess who I call him as we drive along.
Aunt Rene shopped at her two favorite stores in Hallandale. K Mart and the KWICK CHECK. Now when I was down there visiting I noticed that the big neon K on the KWICK CHECK store was burned out, so Aunt Rene called it the WICK CHECK for the rest of her life. And so have I. In order to get to the shopping areas it was necessary to get onto I95...a treacherous high speed highway any time of the day. Aunt Rene's theory did not involve any concept of "merging". She would start up the entrance ramp and drive as fast as the car would go...and then fly into the traffic. The fact that I and anyone else who ever rode in her car is still alive is close to miraculous. When my Mom would have to ride be with her, she recounts that while she used to pray that she'd make it back alive... eventually she started asking God just to make it quick.
          ( I guess there's gotta be a part 3 to this. )

No comments:

Post a Comment