Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mr. President.....I disagree.

If by any chance you teach a third grade class, you'd better start teaching them about Afghanistan...because it's possible that they could end up in Kabul someday. I did not like what the president had to say last night, and the fact that so many of the Republicans that I have a hard time stomaching agreed with him...says a lot. My nephew just turned 18 last month...has a terrific future promised to him, and the thought of him being sent to Afghanistan makes me sick, and the unspeakable nightmare of him dying there would absolutely push me to the brink. Expecting any other uncle or family member to endure such a horrendous loss is equally unthinkable to me. I don't believe that this ten year war is worth dying for. period.
Just like my old pal Rick Santorum said he wanted to throw up after reading JFK's thoughts about church and state, hearing the new ten year deal with Afghanistan made me pretty sick to my stomach. This God-forsaken country is one of the most corrupt nations in the world....with horrendous human rights violations, but it still receives the most financial aid of any country in the world...and has been since 2008. Remember when the 3 billion was skimmed by the big shots there?

My stomach still turns when I hear "when the army here stands up, the US will stand down"

This time it's "when the Afghans stand up, the US will stand with them". I don't WANT to make our men and women stand with them. The Afghan army has quite a history of standing up with our troops...and opening fire on them. Their army is as corrupt as the government is.

Bottom line. Afghanistan harbored Osama..and trained terrorists...and was bulging at the seams with Al Qaeda. The leader is dead, and the Taliban is negotiating, and Al Qaeda is headquartering in Yemen. Let's go home. Bringing even one more young kid home in a coffin is one too many. One thousand nineteen hundred and forty five is a disgrace, and the sixteen thousand wounded is an outrage. Afghanistan looks the same to me as it did ten years ago....and 120 billion dollars a year would do one hell of a lot to make our own country a better place to live. Ninety thousand soldiers could make a huge difference in a lot of other places in the world....or right here at home.

So I absolutely hate the fact that the seven and eight year olds who will walk down the aisle of our church in their white First Communion dresses or wearing their first neckties this year have just been given a possible glimpse of their future....risking their lives someday for an unwinnable war in a corrupt and ungrateful far off disaster of a country.

No comments:

Post a Comment