Tuesday, January 17, 2012

THE BEGINNING OF THE END ?

I think perhaps it's about to begin. In a recent address to 180 foreign diplomats, the Pope once again warned humanity against the threat that people like my partner and I are posing to the entire universe. With the recent appointment of New York Archbishop Dolan to the office of Cardinal of the church, it seems like the big guns are about to be brought out...to defend the whole world. Jolly Old Cardinal Dolan sent a letter to the president in the Fall letting him know that he should be supporting an amendment to the constitution for a ban on gay marriage. ( Remember when George W came out like a cuckoo and called for just such an amendment...then flew back into his office 20 seconds later? ).
My Roman Catholic Church of course teaches that homosexual "tendencies" are not sinful, but homosexual "acts" are, and that kinda confuses me. I asked some of my straight friends recently if they had heterosexual tendencies...and after exchanging looks with one another, they all said no. They're just heterosexuals. Now I have lots of tendencies that I guess I ought to think about, but being attracted to men rather than women isn't one of them. ( I have bigger fish to fry....like that third glass of wine after work ).

I'm also concerned about my tendency to want to jump through our television screen during a GOP debate, or when one of those...."when the moment is right" commercials comes on. ( Seriously..FOUR hours? ).

My partner and I are thus beginning to make good on the threats to society. We began the week with a Mass for racial tolerance at the Cathedral, followed by a family dinner that included my newly married niece and her husband, my brother and his wife, my 17 year old nephew, and my Mom. The tension that my partner and I have created for over 30 years now was as palpable as ever. It's actually sad to see how much of a threat we continue to pose to even to our own family. If the two of us simply had "tendencies", maybe the family could relax, but alas...they suspect that now and then we ACT, and thus jeopardize all of their very existences. The fact that my family is actually able to enjoy a turkey dinner together with such doom and destruction lurking just around the corner (maybe over near the wine bottle?) is just amazing.

All we're doing now is waiting to see just how this destruction will ensue...my nephew has a theory that it will actually begin with some sort of a plague....maybe stinkbugs?

3 comments: