Tuesday, January 31, 2012

TRADITIONAL MARRIAGES

This coming Sunday my church will celebrate World Marriage Day. In the past, the priest at our church has asked all married couples to stand for a special blessing, followed by all married people who were in the church without their spouses for a similar blessing. If you didn't qualify for either group, you were to remain seated....blessing-less. One of my friends said he felt like the message was.." and the rest of you can go to hell." (borrowing a phrase from Bishop Zubic).
Some churches will ask married couples to stand on Sunday and renew their wedding vows. The more militant side of me is considering standing up with my partner and getting married in the Catholic church...well kinda getting married.

Actually, I've decided that we ought to model ourselves after a "Traditional" marriage. I was thinking of course of famous traditional marriages like Mr Newt's. I like the idea of an escape clause should my partner get sick....out with the old and in with the new. I might not have the heart to tell him it's over while he's in the hospital...but that's what Newt did, and made it a tradition. I might also start sneaking into churches during choir rehearsals while I troll for a new boyfriend. (worked for Newt at the Basilica).

Mr Mitt might also be a good model for a traditional marriage...but drinking milk instead of red wine wouldn't be good for my heart. His great grandfather had five wives I think...and the founder of his religion had about 45...now that's kind of appealing..in a traditional kinda way.

Mr Rick wouldn't want us to use him as a model. He would just be TOO uncomfortable with that. He said recently that military personnel are uncomfortable with gay soldiers near them. (never mind their focus on not getting their heads blown off). He's very busy preparing to have his own traditional marriage mysteriously destroyed by the gay couple next door who are about to tie the knot.

I know we shouldn't look to Hollywood...or to the sports world for model relationships, nor to politicians...

( I forgot about Herman ). Maybe we ought to shelve the whole idea, and just ponder how it is that in the words of Pope Benedict..."Gay marriage and terrorism are the biggest threats to modern society". HUH ?

No comments:

Post a Comment