Wednesday, January 18, 2012

FEROCIOUS SOUTH CAROLINA MOBS

Pittsburghers have traditionally flocked to Myrtle Beach. I've been there with my family, and once we found a nice spot away from the more honky tonk boardwalk area, I kinda liked it down there. The ocean was warm, the rates were decent, and there were plenty of good restaurants and the locals seemed nice enough. Watching the GOP debate from there the other night made me stop and think about that friendly little summertime escape. That crowd was SCARY ! Newt Gingrich's exchange with the only black person in sight gave me the creeps. When Juan Williams (from FOX no less) called Newt out about his comments about black people and insensitivity, the crowd sounded like they were about to storm the stage...booing Mr Williams for the question, and cheering for Newt when he gave a condescending response. Later when Ron Paul just happened to mention the GOLDEN RULE as perhaps being a way to think about our fellow human beings, he was also booed. Now I wouldn't vote for either one of these guys, but I still respect their right to speak...(except for Rick Santorum..whom I think ought to be hog tied during any public forum..) just kidding. AHEM.
My partner would rather put pins in his eyes than watch a GOP debate...or more than 20 minutes of the news actually. While I listen to Rachel on MSNBC he's usually deep into a Bette Davis movie or an episode of The Golden Girls, but I've found these debates fascinating as well as disturbing. When the gay soldier was booed early on, I was sure that one of the candidates would perhaps chastise the audience, but when the hypothetical dying man with no insurance was mentioned and some people in the crowd yelled " let him die"...I really felt a bit of a chill down my spine.

Jon Hunstman seemed to be a man who'd be capable of running the country...but his ability to at least acknowledge the divisive nature of the current political scene wasn't welcome at all. I wouldn't vote for any of these candidates...I think they're all too flawed. I'd also be hesitant to face a South Carolina crowd like that one the other night...especially if I was black...or poor...or preached the Golden Rule...or was gay...(OH MY GOD ! ) Even if I was a Navy Seal they might run me out of town with torches and pitchforks.

1 comment:

  1. The southern people for the most part are still very much entrenched in generations of racism, and equality only for some. I found that the people who attended that particular debate were hostile, and ignorant. I love a good GOP debate because I love to laugh, but this one bordered on just plain bad manners as far as the crowd went.

    It frightens me when I hear such hate coming from a large crowd. They are blatantly biased and don't care who knows it. The blacks have a difficult time living there, however, what is worse, I think, is their hate for gays/lesbians. I would fear for any gay person who even just passes through the south. If you happen to be driving down there...don't speed and obey all traffic laws...you surely don't want to get pulled over by a cracker cop.

    ReplyDelete