Wednesday, February 8, 2012

MY GARDEN

I've had a garden for as long as I can remember. I've loved flowers for as long as I can remember as well. When I made my First Communion we were led into church by an eighth grade girl who carried a tall white staff that was all decorated with white lilies and carnations, and that's what I recall most clearly from that big day for seven year olds. As I got older I'd save my carnation from my lapel after every dance. Neither my Mom or my Dad were really gardeners, but it's always seemed to be in my blood.
My garden(s) today always have a path that meanders through the flowers, with a bench here and there to take a break, which I do more often than I used to. I have quite a few archway trellis' that are covered with blue morning glories and yellow climbing roses. I have a mix of annuals and perennials, but my favorite things to grow are tropical plants,,,,palms, gardenias,hibiscus,camellias,and night blooming jasmine. I dig these out in the fall and bring them indoors, with the aid of a dollie.

My partner and I bought a little cottage on the shores of Lake Erie about fifteen years ago, and included in the deal was almost half an acre of land across the street....just waiting in the full sun for me to start creating another garden. I laid out my paths and expanded them through the years, planted 500 daffodils, and an equal number of tulips which the moles and voles promptly devoured. Nobody eats the daffodils.

My garden is sentimental. It's filled with ancient peonies from my dear cousin Janet, with tall blue ageratum that my friend Kel grows for me every year, with forsythia from my Godmother's backyard, and jasmines from Elliott. When Woof and I sit there on a beautiful Spring afternoon, I feel surrounded by old friends, including a curly willow tree that I started from a little branch in one of my Dad's funeral arrangements.

I can get pretty riled up about politics, and a bunch of other things (surprise surprise) but my garden never fails to soothe me, recharge my battery, and make me feel hopeful. After an afternoon of pulling weeds, watering, trimming, planting, staking and mulching, I love to take a leisurely stroll through my creation with a glass of red wine, a brown dog with a warm hide, and a sense that once again all's right with the world.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh... I always get the same feeling. Well... at least until you get a whiff of roadkill... then it's back to politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some day you may find me sitting on one of your benches....sounds so beautiful on this snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh.....I would love to stroll through your garden one day. It sounds lovely, tranquil, and a place to leave the rest of the world behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice; Bernie took me through there one afternoon when you weren't home (I hope that was okay!); at any rate - even during late fall it was a beautiful haven. There's something that is so grounding (no pun intended) by putting ones hands in the dirt. What a lovely place you have there. I can't wait til Spring......I'll even lend a helping hand if you'd like.....

    ReplyDelete