Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ONE MILLION MOMS = ONE MILLION HOMOPHOBES

I never heard of this pack of homophobic Moms until last week. They're on the rampage about Ellen Degeneres being a spokeswoman for the J.C. Penney company...they don't think she represents those yukky "family values". Just hearing those two words turns my stomach. So far the company is sticking to their guns, and says they have no intention to replace Ellen. On their website this radical bunch of bigots is also encouraging people to contact Macy's because their wedding ads also feature a picture of two grooms.

At my age, these kinds of nasty, small minded, regressive attacks just make me angry, but my concern is about what these kinds of messages do to young kids and anyone else who is struggling with their sexual identity. You know how a black person's ears will pick up a subtle hint of racism...like the comments about the "food stamp president", or an overweight person will hear even a mumbled word about "fat", well I think the same thing goes for homophobia, and this Million Mom's group isn't even subtle. The message is clear from them that there is something VERY wrong about being gay. This group has also campaigned against  DANCING WITH THE STARS (Chaz Bono) and MODERN FAMILY (one couple is gay).

Whether it's the Archbishop of Minnesota who has inserted a prayer into the liturgy that speaks about "defending marriage" or the Pope saying that homosexuals are "intrinsically disordered", or the teacher who hears the word "fag" and doesn't say anything about it, or people like Rick Santorum who would reinstate Don't ask Don't Tell', the damage gets done. There are so many young confused kids taking their own lives because of intolerance, condemnation, and maybe just that one instance where they feel ashamed of themselves that pusheds them over the edge,  I think it's about time we acknowledge who is responsible for these untimely deaths.

My heart goes out to any kid who has one of these "one million Moms"...I hope they also have some healthier, kinder, more loving people in their lives. I hope too that the right-wing whacko groups like the Million Moms will some day take responsibility for the damage they've done...and maybe for the blood on their hands.

2 comments:

  1. And I assume these same "moms" claim they follow the teachings of Jesus. Ladies, read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my line of work I have encountered some of "these moms" as well as WAY MORE of the "good moms". I totally get that such negativity and bigotry has lead to the deaths of these innocent kids, yet I truly believe that the GOOD far outway the BAD. My 17 year old daughter gives me updates on how far her school mates have come with regard to homosexuality. I think it's partly because of people in the media like Ellen and less TV coverage of "Dykes on Bikes" or "Drag Queens on Parade" - please no offense to those particular groups! I can't count the number of times I've heard encouraging words from Moms and Dads about homosexuality in general. I CAN count the number of times that I've heard it in a negative tone. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky few and I am certainly not pollyanna about it all. Some of it really just plain SUCKS, but there are a bunch of good folk out there.....just sayin'

    ReplyDelete