Tuesday, February 21, 2012

THE NUN CRAWL PART ONE

Years ago I started collecting owls, and it didn't take long at all for me to get owled-out...they were taking over my life. Every holiday I got owls from people, owl napkins, owl toothpaste holders, owl lamps, and owl stationery. It got to the point where I was afraid to open a present, and dreaded the souvenirs I'd get when anyone came home from a trip. Eventually I sold my vast collection at a garage sale for a dollar, and cleansed my life forever of all things owl.
My owl period ended about ten years ago as I gradually entered into my nun period. I think it may have begun when the nuns threw their traditional habits into the dumpsters in favor of short black skirts and why bother veils. ( Can't you still spot a nun from a mile away...even in her new disguise? ). Some of my more twisted friends would dress up for Halloween as REAL nuns, and we were always a big hit at parties or in bars. I have quite a collection of pictures of my friends dressed as nuns from years past.
About five years ago I came up with the idea that one person dressed as an old fashioned nun is always funny, but a whole pack of them is even funnier.
I recruited one of my craziest friends to help organize a big group of people to don a habit and join us on Halloween. Andrew is the kind of a friend that I can call and say " I have a really crazy idea" and he'll say "count me in" even before I tell him what it is. I love Andrew.
We discussed suitable transportation for the sisters, and decided on a yellow school bus....seats for 57 nuns...and hopefully a driver with a sense of humor.
I of course was the self appointed Mother Superior, and immediately began to direct the requirements for a proper habit. None of that new militant lesbian look...nor any colors but black and white. Beards and mustaches were fine, as the Italian nuns had always been acceptable. Five yards of black material and a piece of poster board and a stapler would make a fine habit.
By the time Halloween arrived we had our 57 nuns chomping at the bit, and a waiting list of postulants should a vacancy occur. Andrew and I planned the evening, choosing unsuspecting venues where the bus would stop and the nuns would descend joyfully singing "How do you solve a problem like Maria?"

No comments:

Post a Comment