Friday, March 9, 2012

I HATE GUNS

Once again we're watching people's lives changed forever because of the plethora of guns in this country. Whether it's the photo of John John Kennedy saluting his father's casket, or the parent's of the kids who died in Ohio, or the policeman's little boy who shot himself with his dad's gun, or the distraught mothers that we see every night on the local news trying to make sense of the senseless killing of their teenage son or daughter, the pain continues.
I hate guns. I hate everything about guns. I hate the NRA, and I hate hunting.

While the right wing in this country is always ready to amend the Constitution to prevent someone like me from marrying my partner of 30 years, In MY idea of a perfect world they'd be trying to get rid of the second amendment...the right to bear arms. Anyone who wants a gun just for sport..either target practice or for hunting, would just have to find another "sport". Period. John Lennon was a "dreamer" with his beautiful song " Imagine", but ended up in a pool of blood as countless others do every day...everywhere in this country.

In the history of this world, there have been some magnificent voices of peace. From Ghandi, to Jesus, to Mother Theresa and Dr Martin Luther King, we were taught about non-violence, but the lesson never remained in our hearts, and we continued to bury our loved ones.

It's ironic that being a pacifist is such a joke in our lifetime. I read the other day about the priest who was called in to bless the atomic bombs that were to be dropped on Japan. Whatever your concept is of "God"...it's hard to imagine blessing a bomb....or a semi-automatic. Banning guns altogether is part of my own naive pacifist nature that still imagines a better world. It's not a  joke.

1 comment:

  1. Oh god one of you people George Washington did not talk to the British he shot them. Oh imagine if john Lennon was packing huh?
    I carry a gun to protect my self why? I was robed once the guy did not have a gun he had a knife a gun is a inanimate object like a knife or a baseball bat

    ReplyDelete