Wednesday, March 28, 2012

IS THIS WHAT "LESS GOVERNMENT" LOOKS LIKE?

Lots of Republicans seem to be talking about a lot less government intrusion into peoples lives. There are lots of them talking about the Supreme Court case concerning the health care provision that requires everyone to have insurance. One Republican congressman was particularly vocal yesterday when he was furiously denouncing the idea of the government making people buy something that they don't want. Meanwhile, I've been reading for months about Republican state legislators all over the country pushing for these ultrasounds and probes that would be required for any woman who wanted an abortion. Now being a man perhaps I don't quite know what I'm talking about, but I can't imagine that the majority of women would want the government forcing these procedures on them...they do have a legal right to terminate a pregnancy...like it or not. Our own governor in Pennsylvania has suggested that women can just "close their eyes" rather than look at the required screen with images of the ultrasound. This is "less government" ?
In my limited understanding of this mandated health insurance idea....isn't the gist of it the idea that we all end up paying for all those people who go to the emergency room for treatment without any insurance ? If this country's health care system is ranked 37th in the world....seems like we have to do SOMETHING different. Since I try to always write about what I know....this is an appropriate time to wind this up. I have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment